The Ultimate Moving Day Checklist
Moving into a new home is always an exciting time in one’s life, but the reality is that it tends to also be one of the most stressful. With so much going on, it can be easy to forget something important. That’s why we always recommend having a moving day checklist on hand before you begin the process.
Moving Essentials List: What to Do Before and During the Move
With your essentials list, you’ll reduce the risk of missing something important to the move. Here is our ultimate moving day checklist, featuring everything you need to do before and during the big move.
To Do List: Before the Movers Show Up
- Go through each room to make sure that everything has been packed and is ready for the move
- Label boxes or items that are not being moved by the movers, and set them aside in a clearly defined area
- Pack all the essential items your family will need for its first day in the new home, including toiletries, clothes, medicine, etc. Do not have the movers take this box; instead, take it with you
- Make sure all delicate and breakable items are packed well, and properly seal all the boxes that the movers will be transporting
- Label the box with your bedding to be loaded last so that it can be unloaded first after you arrive.
- Store all valuables, jewelry, important documentation, and other irreplaceable items in one box and keep it off the mover’s truck for you to transport in your car
- Make pathways through the home for the movers so they can easily move your boxes, furniture, and other items from the home to the moving truck
- Keep your pets in one area of the home or in the yard while the movers are in your home
- Keep your driveway or curb clear of traffic, so the movers will have plenty of space to park the moving truck and to work
- Verify with the moving company upfront how they wish to be paid for their services, so you can be prepared to pay upon their arrival
To Do List: Moving Day
- Before the movers start working, review the contract paperwork and details of the moving agreement that you signed
- Double check the time and date the movers expect to have your belongings at your new home
- Confirm the movers have the right address of your new home and provide directions if required
- Walk through with the movers as they inspect your furniture, so you can both agree on the condition of the furniture and other items before the move, in case anything gets damaged during the move
- Confirm your phone number with the movers, so they can reach you in the event of an emergency
- Have cold beverages on hand for the movers. This is not only polite, but it will also help establish a friendly relationship with them
- Be available to answer any questions or to assist with anything that the crew may need while loading your belongings onto the truck
Let’s be honest, moving day can be overwhelming if you’re not completely prepared for the event. Do yourself a favor and use this moving day checklist to make sure you have everything covered, and to reduce a significant amount of stress that can often go along with moving. The more organized and prepared you are, the smoother and more enjoyable the day will be.