Are Gutters Required by Code?
Mid-Atlantic weather can be unpredictable with soggy springs and icy winters. Your home’s gutters are your first line of defense against water damage to your home’s foundation and although some homeowners omit them, most qualified home inspectors would agree: what you may save by choosing not to install a gutter system, you will most likely end up paying in damages and repairs.
- Traditional gutters require cleaning to prevent clogs
- Ice damming can occur in gutters that aren’t installed properly
- Undersized gutters fail to handle heavy downfalls
- The topography surrounding the home makes it so rainwater naturally flows away from the structure
Gutter Facts to Consider:
- Gutters are installed to catch rainfall as it slides down your roof and redirect it away from your home’s exterior.
- A gutter system is composed of many gutter channels along the lowest point of your roof, and a downspout which leads the water down and away from your home.
- The main reason that rainwater needs to be redirected away from your home’s foundation is the effect of rainwater on the ground around your home’s foundation. Water buildup can cause soil erosion and cause your home to become structurally unsound.
- Gutters and downspouts redirect water away from pricey landscaping that can be damaged by heavy water events.
- Gutters and downspouts keep your siding clean by channeling water away from the home rather than allowing it to splash directly down which splatters dirt and debris on the home.
Importance of Gutter Systems
Now that you’re familiar with the basic functions of a gutter system, it is easier to understand the importance in having one. There are a few circumstances where a gutter system is even more necessary, though. Read below to see if any of these examples apply to you:
- If your home is at the bottom of a downhill slope, you could be more at risk for flooding. Adding a gentle downward slope around your home is helpful. Over time, rainfall draining down towards your home is bound to compromise its foundation. If necessary, you can install a French drain to redirect water away from your home.
- You may find gutters extremely helpful if you have little overhang on your roof. If your roof aligns perfectly with the exterior of your house, this allows for water to pour right onto the ground near the foundation.
If you’re looking to install a gutter system, Thompson Creek experts are here to help. Visit our site to view our extensive collection of gutter systems and see why our installation services are superior. Our gutter systems are seamlessly designed so you will never worry about clogged gutters and our experts make sure they are sized correctly If you’re contemplating installing a new gutter system or replacing your old one, don’t hesitate to call us at Thompson Creek.