Do I Need to Replace The Siding on My Home
Your home’s siding is a major factor in its curb appeal but it’s not just pretty to look at. Siding is an important coat of armor for your home. Here are some key ways to know when it’s time to replace it.
Most siding has a lifespan of over 20 years, depending on the material and quality of the product. It is important to know when it’s time to replace your siding in order to maintain your home’s structural integrity and curb appeal. Replacing your siding can earn you about 75% return on your investment according to Remodeling Magazine’s Cost vs. Value Report. Keep reading for a few tips and things to consider before deciding whether or not to replace your siding, and how to start your home renovation project.
Here are a few indicators that your siding is due replacement:
- Moss or mold growth
- If you notice some plant-like organisms growing on your siding, this can be a sign of moisture infiltrating the siding product and is bad news for its structural integrity.
- Warping or bubbling of your siding is a clear-cut sign that moisture has gotten trapped inside your siding and compromised the sealed barrier.
- Discoloration of the finish
- Discoloration appears when your siding is overexposed to UV rays, and most commonly occurs with low-grade, thin vinyl siding.
- Insect damage
- Any damage from woodpeckers, insects, squirrels or other wildlife can be detrimental to your siding, both looks-wise and structurally.
- Cracks can happen due to weather damage or other forceable damage. The result is exposure of your home’s underlayment to the elements.
There are a few questions to consider when determining if, when, and how you should replace your siding.
- The first of these is when should you start this project. Siding materials are best installed in moderate weather, but can be installed year round. The professionals from Thompson Creek are experienced with installing siding year round.
- Another important step in this process is to pick the type of material you want your siding to be. There are many siding options, and the most popular of these is vinyl, brick, stucco and wood. These materials also come in an array of colors to match your home’s aesthetic.
- The last and most important step to consider is the installment. At Thompson Creek, our professionals have a thorough replacement process where the old siding is removed, and the underlayment is inspected to ensure top quality for your replacement. From there insulation is added to increase your home’s energy efficiency – another perk of replacing your siding. A typical siding replacement job takes about 2 to 3 days.
Call Thompson Creek for Replacement Siding
If you determine replacement siding is right for your home, or you want an expert opinion, call a Thompson Creek professional today. Thompson Creek siding comes in four different styles and in a material made to withstand Mid-Atlantic weather. Check out how replacement siding can benefit your new home.