Healthy gutters are essential for protecting your home against rainwater damage and ensuring water is carried where it needs to go. When investing in new gutters, you want to get the best return on your investment by choosing a system designed to last. While some homeowners may contemplate purchasing vinyl gutters, they should consider additional options, such as aluminum gutters.
How long do vinyl gutters last in comparison to aluminum? Let’s look at the longevity of vinyl and aluminum gutters here.
How Long Do Gutters Last?
The life expectancy of aluminum and galvanized gutters is 20+ years, according to the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors, while vinyl gutters and downspouts can last for 25 years in mild climates. However, aluminum gutters provide a high return on investment because of their performance and durability.
You can prolong the life of your gutters by choosing a system that includes hoods or gutter guards. These fittings prevent leaves, twigs, and other debris from entering your gutters and causing blockages. Over time, blockages can cause excess strain on your gutters. That could lead to costly repairs or replacements.
Choosing Between Vinyl Gutters vs. Aluminum Gutters for Your Home
There are a few potential benefits to installing vinyl gutters, including the following:
- Lightweight: Vinyl is lightweight compared to other gutter materials, so vinyl gutters are more versatile and can be installed on structures with low load-bearing capacity.
- Affordable: Seamless vinyl gutters cost less per foot than other systems.
- Low maintenance: Vinyl won’t corrode or rust and doesn’t need to be painted or coated.
There are also many benefits to installing aluminum gutters, such as the following:
- Low maintenance & durable: Aluminum gutters are resistant to rust and are built to withstand snow and ice, making them perfect for harsh winters. Because of their durability and effectiveness against inclement weather, they are considered more low maintenance than vinyl gutters.
- Affordable: Aluminum gutters cost less to install than many other gutter materials and provide an excellent return on investment.
- High-quality seamless design: Aluminum gutters can be made seamless, and this design is sturdier and longer lasting, compared to sectional gutters.
- Long-lasting: Aluminum is thicker than vinyl, so it tends to perform better in adverse weather conditions.
- Popularity: Aluminum gutters are popular with many homeowners and can attract potential home buyers when it’s time to sell your home down the road.
- Eco-friendly: Aluminum is fully recyclable if you’ll need to replace your gutters at some point in the future.
Do My Gutters Need Replacing?
While gutter systems can provide years of dependable performance, a time will come when sections or your entire system need to be replaced. If you’ve noticed any of the following, it could be time to arrange a gutter inspection:
- Fractures/visible breakage
- Overflowing or standing water
New gutters can make such a difference to your home. Not only do they give you peace of mind that your home is protected from rainwater, but they can also instantly improve your property’s curb appeal.
Learn More About The Thompson Creek Gutter System
While vinyl gutters may be of initial interest to you, aluminum gutters last longer and are quicker to install. At Thompson Creek, we aim to provide solutions and services that give our customers the best return on their investment. Our aluminum gutters are no exception, as they protect your home from water, debris, and wind for up to 50 years.
Contact us today to discover how our unique gutter system will save you time and money throughout the year. We can tell you more about the benefits of a new gutter system and arrange a free no-obligation estimate.