Why Should You Replace Doors and Windows
New doors and windows may not be at the top of your renovation wish list, but if your home needs a refresh, they may be exactly what you need. Today, there are plenty of stylish options to complement your home’s interior and exterior look. Plus, when you replace doors and windows, you can improve the form and function of your house in a multitude of ways.
Advantages of New Doors and Windows
If you think new doors and windows are just replacements for broken or damaged ones, you might be surprised to find out what benefits they may have:
- Curb appeal: Because windows and doors are natural focal points on your home’s exterior, replacing them can spice up your house’s curb appeal. Doors and windows come in a multitude of shapes, styles, and frames so you can define your house’s overall character for a great first impression.
- Energy efficiency: If your energy bills keep climbing, old windows and doors may be the problem. By choosing energy-efficient products and having them properly installed, you can eliminate drafts, which can lead to significant savings on your energy bills. Many windows and doors now have Energy Star certification to help you determine the most energy-efficient options.
- Security: Old windows and doors can pose a security hazard to your home and family. Loose sashes and windows that don’t lock properly may offer easy access to intruders. Having new doors and windows properly installed can reduce your home’s security risks. Some doors also feature steel plates and deadbolts.
- Noise reduction: If you have old windows and doors, you may find your home isn’t as quiet as it could be. With proper installation, new windows and doors can reduce unwanted exterior noises. Some modern windows enhance noise resistance by incorporating triple-pane glass, insulating frames, or sound-dampening panels such as Thompson Creek’s proprietary SoundShield™
- Easier maintenance: Modern windows may feature lift-out panels or tilting sashes that provide easy access to hard-to-reach places, making it simple to keep your panels crystal clear.
When Should You Replace Doors and Windows?
Although windows and doors are designed to last for years, they’ll eventually need to be replaced. While a home refresh is an ideal time to replace doors and windows, you should also pay attention to these indications that windows or doors are losing their integrity and should be replaced:
- Softening wood
- Broken or cracked glass
- Warping, cracking, or signs of rot on the frames
- Moisture trapped between the panes
- Improperly functioning handles or locks
- Air and light are visible around door frames
Should You Replace Doors and Windows Simultaneously?
Although it isn’t necessary to replace your doors and windows at the same time, it can be beneficial to do so. By replacing windows and doors simultaneously, you’ll complete the renovation efficiently, creating less impact on your daily life. It can also improve your home’s energy profile so you can start saving on your energy bill right away.
Whether you want to replace all your doors and windows or you’re just looking for something unique for a special spot in your home, doing business with a reputable local company can make all the difference. With decades of experience in the industry, Thompson Creek can help you choose the products that are right for your home and your lifestyle. Discover even more benefits to replacing your home’s windows and doors when you contact us today for a free estimate.