Vinyl windows are designed to provide a home with the desired level of comfort, security, appearance, and weather sealing properties. You may have heard that vinyl windows are more affordable than other types of windows, and that is generally true. If you’re thinking about vinyl window replacement, then it’s equally important to know what to expect in terms of the product, installation, and warranty prior to purchasing.
Vinyl Window Replacement Cost
There are a few publications from reputable sources that give consumers an idea as to what they should expect to pay for replacement windows. You’ll want to make sure that the quote you get includes both the window and installation. The installation of replacement windows is a vital part to the overall performance of the window. The most energy efficient window will not perform adequately if they are not installed properly.
The Federal Trade Commission published an infographic titled “Shopping for New Windows” which shows the price per window can range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars, depending on the materials and features you choose, as well as the installation costs.
According to the “Remodeling 2019 Cost vs. Value Report,” the job cost to replace 10 windows in the Washington, DC market is $16,946 or $1,695 per opening. This job cost is to replace 10 existing 3’ x 5’ double-hung windows, with insulated glass, low-E coating, simulated divided light, and a custom color exterior trim. This cost includes installation and trim to match the existing trim without disturbing the interior trim. This report also shows the average resale value of this project as $12,967, so you can recoup 76.5% of the cost of the project when you sell your home.
Vinyl Window Pricing and Installation Checklist
- Before choosing a contractor, look at their ratings with the Better Business Bureau, and look at their online reviews.
- To get the best prices, look to buy directly from a manufacturer, and not a window dealer who adds their mark-up to the project.
- Understand that vinyl window costs fluctuate between companies.
- Research each manufacturer that sells the windows you want and make sure they have been in business for a long period of time and have good reviews and ratings from the Better Business Bureau.
- Your style of home could impact the cost of your windows or installation. Keep this in mind when determining your budget
- Make sure that your project includes installation, and determine who is responsible in the case of a warranty claim. Is it the manufacturer, dealer, or the sub-contractor who installs the windows? You can buy directly from a manufacturer, so you only have one company responsible for the warranty.
How to Budget for Your Vinyl Window Installation Costs
Budgeting for your project involves knowing how much the project will cost. The best way to get this estimate is to have a replacement window professional inspect all of your openings, and provide a written quotation.
Determine when you want to have to job completed, and this will tell you roughly how much you will have to pay your contractor. You can then divide the cost of the project by the number of weeks before your project start date to figure out how much money you will have to save per week to afford your vinyl window replacement costs.
Many contractors offer finance options so that you can improve the beauty and comfort of your home now with new energy efficient windows, and pay for the project with low-interest or no-interest finance options.
Finding Custom Windows at Affordable Prices
Thompson Creek carries an extensive line of premium, custom-made windows at affordable prices. Because we design, build, and install our windows ourselves, you get the absolute lowest price on materials and labor. If you are looking to replace your home’s vinyl windows, then contact Thompson Creek today and get a free estimate for your windows.