Can I Install Replacement Windows Myself
DIY projects are a budget-friendly way to complete home improvements for many homeowners, but installing windows can present a unique challenge. If it’s time to replace your home’s windows and you’ve been given a high estimate from a contractor, you may be asking yourself, “Can I install replacement windows myself?” For skilled DIYers, the answer may be yes —but it is not worth it. Let’s explore several factors you may want to consider when deciding whether to install replacement windows yourself or hire a professional for the job.
Can You Install Replacement Windows Yourself?
With the right tools and solid carpentry skills, you may be able to replace a window in your home, but that doesn’t mean you should. Before you decide to go the DIY route, here are a few things to consider:
- Measuring is tricky — Because most replacement windows are custom-made, your measurements must be exact. If you’re off by even a small amount, it can affect your chance of proper installation or result in a window that’s unusable.
- You’ll need specialty tools — Window installation requires a special skill set and tools that most homeowners won’t have on hand. Plus, the techniques and tools you’ll need may change depending on whether you’re installing a wood- or metal-framed window.
- Installing windows takes time — If you’re going the DIY route for a multiple-window installation, make sure you have the time to invest in the project. If you’re working alone, it can take weeks to replace the windows throughout a house.
Why You Should Hire a Professional
Even if you have the technical know-how necessary to install replacement windows, the effort will not be worth the potential savings. If you’re asking yourself, “Can I install replacement windows myself?” here are four reasons why it may be worth hiring a professional such as Thompson Creek Window Company:
- Quicker completion: When you hire a professional for a whole-home window replacement job, the project is typically completed by a team of skilled installers. This means your windows can be installed within days rather than weeks, with less disruption to your family’s daily routines.
- Responsibility falls on the company: Any home improvement project has the potential to go wrong. When you hire a professional, they maintain responsibility for any mishaps that happen, including broken glass or errors in measurement, so you aren’t left with the associated costs.
- Increased performance and aesthetics: When you install replacement windows yourself, you may not execute the job with the same precision a professional would, potentially reducing your windows’ energy efficiency and aesthetic appeal. By having new windows professionally installed, you can ensure proper placement to maximize your new windows’ performance and visual appeal.
- Labor warranty: Although faulty products are typically covered under the manufacturer’s warranty, these protections don’t extend to improper installation. Thompson Creek offers a no-hassle warranty that covers the product and installation for up to 50 years.
Working With Thompson Creek
If it’s time to replace the windows in your house, and you want to go with a pro, it’s crucial to hire the right company for the job. Whether you want to create curb appeal through beautiful bay windows or transform your home into a quiet sanctuary with Sound Shield™ panes, Thompson Creek designs, builds, and installs all windows to ensure that you get the right replacement windows for your family’s needs. Contact us today for a free in-home estimate.