Importance of Window Screens
There’s nothing quite like a cool summer breeze or opening up the window to the sound of nature, but you might regret that decision if your window screens are not maintained. Small holes, tears or ill-fitting screens can render your window screens ineffective against insects and other critters who might want to join you inside. Check out these reasons why maintaining your window screens is essential to enjoying your home.
Window screens allow fresh air inside your home while keeping out bugs out. If you’ve noticed your window screens have failed to perform their protecting duty, it may be time to take a closer look at the state of your screens and perform some routine maintenance and cleaning.
Below are just a few of the benefits of regular maintenance of your window screens:
- Better Air Quality. Keeping your windows open for a bit of fresh air is known to improve your focus and increase ventilation in your home. Poor ventilation can lead to an increased risk of disease and other health issues, especially if you live in an apartment building or townhome. Keeping your screens clean helps with this ventilation and allows proper airflow in and out of your home.
- Curb Appeal. Nothing adds years of age onto a home like dirty, damaged window screens. Screens with holes and rips in them give off the look of an upkept home and tend to make your home’s value decrease in the eyes of a buyer. Not to mention, a torn window screen negates it of its purpose.
- Added Protection. There are many things that could prove harmful to your windows: debris, bug intruders, errant baseballs. Window screens add an extra layer of protection guarding your windows from bugs, webs or insects that could do harm or debris that is moved around in a storm. It may not entirely protect your window’s glass from a baseball, but it may reduce the blow!
- Visibility. Nothing ruins a good view like a dirty screen. Cleaning your screen will dramatically enhance your view. After all, windows are meant to provide a great view of the outdoors from the comfort of the indoors.
- Sun blocking. Screens by themselves can’t block the sun’s UV rays but installing screens can help to block about some of the heat that would otherwise enter the room.
If your screens have wear and tear that cannot be fixed with quick maintenance, it is important to know when to replace them. Simply cleaning off your screens with a damp rag could prove beneficial in restoring the natural beauty of your view. Take a look at these steps to properly cleaning your home’s window screens that are critical part of your window screen maintenance plan.
Get a Free Estimate for Replacement Windows
Even with clean or new window screens, there are a few things that only window upgrades can completely fix: such as insulation issues, scratches on your window’s glass, and overall wear and tear of your current windows. Call a Thompson Creek professional for an expert opinion on the quality of your windows and a free estimate for replacement.