Questions to Ask When Buying a New Front Door
You’ve decided your home needs a new front door. But, now you’ve opened the door to lots of questions about buying one!
Choosing a front door may seem like a simple decision but it is arguably one of the most important upgrades you can make to your home. Your front door is the first thing your guests see, it greatly affects your house’s curb appeal and sets the tone for your home’s décor- not to mention the two main functions of your door which is safety and protection of your home from the elements.
It may be just a door, but it’s got some pretty important functions. Check out these four important questions to ask when buying a front door.
What front door material should I choose?
There are many different materials to choose from when buying a new front door. Homeowners should take local weather into account when considering front door options so that your front door helps to keep your home insulated all year long while the door weathers the conditions in your area. The three main materials are:
- Wood: Wood is probably the material most commonly thought of when buyers consider a new front door. Wood doors can be customized to match your style and color needs, and wood is one of the oldest, most elegant materials. One major downside to wood doors is they require a lot of maintenance. Given the nature of wood to warp over time and its susceptibility to scratches and insects, it is known to be the material with the highest costs in maintenance. Wood doors faced with high humidity, salt air or direct sunlight might require repeated painting or varnishing to keep their protective status and high-end look.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass is a popular choice for front doors because it is known for its energy efficiency and low maintenance. Fiberglass front doors can be manufactured in a wide array of colors and styles and can even be made to mimic the look of wood (minus the high maintenance aspect).
- Steel: One of the most durable materials, steel is a popular material for front doors. Your front door is the gateway to your home, and with a steel front door, you are well protected. Steel doors are great for security and come in several colors and have a lot of glass and hardware options. You can design the door of your dreams.
2. What front door style suits my home?
There are a few different styles to choose from, and it may seem overwhelming. This is why we’ve listed a few of the most popular styles from which to choose. Remember, some homeowners’ associations have guidelines on color and style so homeowners should check for restrictions before buying a new front door.
- Traditional: The traditional style front door well matches its name; it is classic and has raised panels for added visual effect. It is probably what you first think of when you think of a front door: a traditional rectangle with a pattern of raised rectangular panels.
- Craftsman: This front door style typically features glass panels on the top, and a thick piece of trim on the bottom. This style is easily customizable to match your home’s aesthetic.
- French Doors – French doors make a beautiful entryway. French doors include two separate doors that are hinged on the outside. A benefit of French doors is that they can significantly open the entrance of your home to move large objects in and out.
What front door functions best for my home?
Your front door does a lot of your home’s heavy lifting. A busy household has your front door opening and shutting dozens of times a day. Your front door lock is important in keeping up with security needs of your home. Some front doors use mechanical or electronic hardware. Determine which secure door hardware options best fits your lifestyle and the style of your home’s front door.
What is my budget?
The type of material, whether your front door includes sidelights or transoms and style you choose will also impact your cost. A new front door will cost you more if you are replacing a front door that has a damaged door frame or swapping out the size of your front door.
If you have new front door questions, the experts at Thompson Creek can help. Our front doors are built to exceed ENERGY STAR criteria and give you the look you want with the satisfaction of knowing it is built to your home’s exact specifications and backed by an unbeatable warranty. Call us today for a free consultation